Working in partnership to support clients
SMECC works with a number of other services to support our clients. Many times this is through community information & capacity building workshops or occasional visits, but we also have other ongoing partnerships to improve the services offered through SMECC. These include:
* Mildura Rural City Council (MRCC):
- Every fortnight SMECC women & children playgroups are visited by nurse from maternal & child health services. MRCC nursing staff provide informal advice through the playgroups and also take personal appointments to support families in our SMECC consultation rooms.
* Sunraysia Community Health Services (SCHS):
- SMECC works very closely with the SCHS Refugee Health Nurse team who conduct initial health assessments and appointments at SMECC for new HSS clients who have just arrived in Mildura.
- SCHS Counselling team also conduct private appointments at SMECC to support our clients, and make regular visits to our Playgroups and other programs to build relationships and provide support to our isolated clients.
*Murray Mallee Community Legal Service (MMCLS):
- MMCLS visits SMECC for client legal support appointments for any CALD community member on a monthly basis. 2017 Dates to mid year are: 8th Feb, 8th March, 5th April, 10th May, 7th June
Support is available on issues such as: Family Law; Separation & Divorce; Family Violence; Intervention Orders; Discrimination; Unpaid Fines; Credit and debt problems; Centrelink issues; Employment; Consumer complaints
- They are also available for extra visits at SMECC or referral from SMECC at other times on request.
* Australia Taxation Office
- Every year SMECC hosts the "Tax Help" program between July - Sept. Tax Help is a network of ATO-trained and accredited community volunteers who provide a free and confidential service to help people earning $50,000 or less complete their tax returns online.